AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to create a fiscal year dimension

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm using Google Analytics data. Our fiscal year starts in October. I'd like to create a dimension for fiscal year. I've tried case statements but they don't work. Any ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You could use a date selector fixed on your fiscal year and group it together with your data. If you don't want your date selector to show up, you could even obfuscate it by making it the same colour as your background...

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Could you clarify what you mean by "data selector fixed on your fiscal year and group it together with your data"? Ideally, I'm looking for a dimension that I can use as a breakdown dimension in a line chart. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can use different date selectors within on dashboard by grouping the elements together. You could copy any dimension which shows the whole year and rename it to "fiscal year" and group it with the according date selector. Drawback would be that you couldn't use multiple fiscal years within on table or graph. But my idea represents a workaround anyway.