Data Studio
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to create Area-Chart without restructuring input Data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm currently trying to export all my graphs from a spreadsheet to DataStudio. The spreadsheet should remain as Datasource.

Here a screenshot of my Data and the Chart I want to create out of it:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-13 um 15.23.51.pngMy Goal

Unfortunately I'm struggling with Area Charts, as they only allow Date Range Dimensions and only one kind of metric. While the date range is not necessarily an issue (as I could add dates and everything would be fine), the amount of possible metrics/breakdown dimensions is:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-14 um 16.32.05.pngWrong Area Chart

With a Combo-Chart with multiple lines I achieve *almost* what I want, except for the fact that there is no way to stack the lines.

How can I create such an area chart, without restructuring my data? Is there maybe a clever way of filtering?

Why do Line/Area/Pie Charts only allow Date Ranges as Dimension?

Kind Regards,

Christoph

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You have the ability to add 1 dimension besides just the Date Range being the "Breakdown Dimension".

Unlike your Excel example, Data Studio doesn't aggregate multiple dimensions/metrics into a single dimension/metric to create the viz.

You will need to transform your data to have 2 Columns: 1 Dimension where your value is Issue Type, User Story, Tech Story, Bug and Spike and 1 Metric which is the value of each.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mike, 

Is there a way you can screenshot an example dataset that is formatted the way you just described it?

Re: How to create Area-Chart without restructuring input Data?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

2017-09-27_1018.png

See the attached.  You need 1 column for the dimension and 1 column for the metric value.

Re: How to create Area-Chart without restructuring input Data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike, I see that this was a little while ago, but were you able to create an area chart using the data shown? I've been having lots of trouble getting ANY area chart to work -- I replicated the data exactly as you showed it, and still wasn't able to get a working area chart. I always get Invalid errors, no matter what I try. I've been working at this for hours, with different date formats and settings within Data Studio, but still no luck.

I'm attaching screenshots of how I've set this up. Does anyone have any idea why this is failing?

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.47.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.48.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.48.10 AM.png