Data Studio
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to add a fixed value metric to graph?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Along with a graph of monthly campaign conversion rates, I'd like the graph to show a fixed benchmark, eg 2.6%.

Could someone point me in the correct direction please - or  even better, just tell me how to do it Smiley Happy

I guess the starting point is "create a new metric". That's were my knowledge base ends!

Many thanks for any assistance.

Eamonn McGreevy / Bluelake

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eamonn,

If you wanted to show a fixed benchmark you could add this at the data level and just enter a fixed figure. You could also in theory add a custom metric of a fixed figure and plot this on your charts too, thought I have not done this personally, I believe it should work!

Hope that helps,

Ben

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your help Ben but not having any luck yet.

I've tried adding a custom metric of 2.5% but that's an "invalid formula".

Also my data source for the bounce rate metric is Adwords. I don't know how I could add a fixed benchmark metric from another data source (eg Google Sheets) into the same graph?

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks, Eamonn McGreevy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eamonn,

Hmm that's a tough one - I have done something similar and achieved it by having 2 line charts, with one on top of the other, but using transparency and fixed axies visually they look like the same graph. The one below could connect to your benchmark data in Google Sheets (for example) and the chart on top can be your live data.

It's a bit of a workaround, but it does look good once up and running. I've taken na look at my formula suggestion too, but I can't work out how to add a flat value in here unfortunately.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Re: How to add a fixed value metric to graph?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well, I've managed to get the formula working with this fiddle:

For example, if you wanted to add a fixed benchmark bounce rate of 62.5% to your Campaign graphs over time, add a new metric and use this formula (for example)-

Click/Clicks/1.6 (as a percentage)

Not standard for sure, but it worked for me Smiley Wink

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome - thanks for sharing this!

Ben Smiley Happy