AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to Measure Data Studio usage with GA? Want to track usage of report

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to track views of my Data Studio report because I am planning to use it as a mini product selector application.  I would love to track interactions , but I doubt if that is possible (Wouldn't that be great - then I could create a data studio report for my data studio report) Short of having google add an analytics ID to the setup , does anyone have suggestions on simple ways to do this?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lee H
May 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

DS is rolling out the ability to add your Analytics ID to the Report Settings via "File > Report Settings"   I can't imagine another way to track views since you can't attach your own code/tags.

It's not available on all reports yet.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lee H
May 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

DS is rolling out the ability to add your Analytics ID to the Report Settings via "File > Report Settings"   I can't imagine another way to track views since you can't attach your own code/tags.

It's not available on all reports yet.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Mike!  Good enough and better than most applications like this.  I will keep an eye out for it! 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Great ! I see it is available on my reports - Awsome! 

analyticsSetup.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can see Google Analytics Tracking ID in my reports too. However, I do not understand how the tracking would work. Do I need to set up a new "website" to track in GA? Can I ask you to elaborate this a bit?

Thanks.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mustafa!  

I can think of a few cases to use this.  

1) You create an individual report and want to track usage - You could create a new GA property and profiles dedicated to that report - you would need the new GA from setting up the property. 

2) You publish a lot of reports and want to track them all in one place .   Again , set up a new property and use the GA code across multiple reports . This would allow you overall view . Could then filter separate profiles for individual reports if needed. 

3) You are publishing a public facing report in conjunction with another website . I plan on using this one myself.   I would use the GA code used on the existing website because I would want to track traffic back and forth from the website to the DS app .  I would probably try to divide the report into pages so I could better measure visitor interest in different functions. 

4) Meta tracking just for fun ....  You could make a Data Studio report that tracks itself (I think , I will have to try it).  Create a new GA property , put the code into the DS report , then pull the GA data into the report!  A little silly , but you could report all sorts of cool stats about the actual users of the report - geo location etc.   Actually might not be so silly after all !  

Hope that helps!   

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lee,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I was thinking to track the report usage for fun. I like looking into trends and what people are using and not using.

I will give a go what you have suggested.

Cheers. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Quick question, once you placed the GA Tracking ID under settings, where in GA can you find the output I enabled this feature bit I'm still strugling trying to find out how to view the data.

Thanks,

-Oscar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Oscar,

You can apply a filter on the report in GA that includes "/reporting/". And, that should give you those report(s) that has the tracking code applied.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll give it a try, Thanks Mustafa