Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to Measure Data Studio usage with GA? Want to track usage of report

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would like to track views of my Data Studio report because I am planning to use it as a mini product selector application.  I would love to track interactions , but I doubt if that is possible (Wouldn't that be great - then I could create a data studio report for my data studio report) Short of having google add an analytics ID to the setup , does anyone have suggestions on simple ways to do this?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lee H
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

DS is rolling out the ability to add your Analytics ID to the Report Settings via "File > Report Settings"   I can't imagine another way to track views since you can't attach your own code/tags.

It's not available on all reports yet.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lee H
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

DS is rolling out the ability to add your Analytics ID to the Report Settings via "File > Report Settings"   I can't imagine another way to track views since you can't attach your own code/tags.

It's not available on all reports yet.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Mike!  Good enough and better than most applications like this.  I will keep an eye out for it! 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great ! I see it is available on my reports - Awsome! 

analyticsSetup.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can see Google Analytics Tracking ID in my reports too. However, I do not understand how the tracking would work. Do I need to set up a new "website" to track in GA? Can I ask you to elaborate this a bit?

Thanks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mustafa!  

I can think of a few cases to use this.  

1) You create an individual report and want to track usage - You could create a new GA property and profiles dedicated to that report - you would need the new GA from setting up the property. 

2) You publish a lot of reports and want to track them all in one place .   Again , set up a new property and use the GA code across multiple reports . This would allow you overall view . Could then filter separate profiles for individual reports if needed. 

3) You are publishing a public facing report in conjunction with another website . I plan on using this one myself.   I would use the GA code used on the existing website because I would want to track traffic back and forth from the website to the DS app .  I would probably try to divide the report into pages so I could better measure visitor interest in different functions. 

4) Meta tracking just for fun ....  You could make a Data Studio report that tracks itself (I think , I will have to try it).  Create a new GA property , put the code into the DS report , then pull the GA data into the report!  A little silly , but you could report all sorts of cool stats about the actual users of the report - geo location etc.   Actually might not be so silly after all !  

Hope that helps!   

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lee,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I was thinking to track the report usage for fun. I like looking into trends and what people are using and not using.

I will give a go what you have suggested.

Cheers. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Quick question, once you placed the GA Tracking ID under settings, where in GA can you find the output I enabled this feature bit I'm still strugling trying to find out how to view the data.

Thanks,

-Oscar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Oscar,

You can apply a filter on the report in GA that includes "/reporting/". And, that should give you those report(s) that has the tracking code applied.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll give it a try, Thanks Mustafa