Data Studio
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How is average user timing calculated and what is user timing sample (site speed reports) ?

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how 'Average User timing' metric is calculated by Google Analytics. As far as I understand it the metric is reported in seconds which means that if we send the information in milliseconds (timingValue) this value is converted. I'd like to understand how is the average created though. 

My guess is that it is down to the user timing sample. Is this the case please? Does GA simply convert to seconds and divide it by the number of user timing samples?

If so, how does GA pick the sample please? I've seen that it's got some limitation (10,000 samples although I see 17,000 in my report) and that it can be tweaked.

Thanks and best Regards, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
October 2016

How is average user timing calculated and what is user timing sample (site speed reports) ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @ACG - here is the formula:

(ga:userTimingValue / ga:userTimingSample / 1000)

The value in miliseconds is indeed converted to seconds. Timing hits are extremely prone to sampling yet you may fine grain where to push more timing hits by dinamically setting siteSpeedSampleRate in your GA tracker.

Hope it helps.

Links:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-timings

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @ACG - here is the formula:

(ga:userTimingValue / ga:userTimingSample / 1000)

The value in miliseconds is indeed converted to seconds. Timing hits are extremely prone to sampling yet you may fine grain where to push more timing hits by dinamically setting siteSpeedSampleRate in your GA tracker.

Hope it helps.

Links:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-timings

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

Thanks very much. Really appreciated. 

Is this setting dynamically the speed sample rate to capture our key timing intervals more accurately? I've read Google's support page in this but I can't understand why page views hits are used really.

Thanks and Best regards, A.