AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How do I use Data Studio to connect to segmented data in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm new to Data Studio. An example of what I'm asking: I want my Data Studio report to reflect Unbounced Sessions, not Sessions overall, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The Data Studio team has not yet added the ability to use the custom or default audience Segments from Analytics, but there is another way to apply filters in Data Studio.  You can either filter the entire report, individual pages, or individual charts by adding filters from the bottom of the Data Tab in the right hand sidebar menu, or you can let your dashboard users filter for the results they want to see by adding a filter widget.  The filter widget is located next to the date range filter in the top menu bar.  You can simply add filter widgets the same way you add other widgets, select the dimension/metric you would like to use, and then set your styling options.  You can make your interactive filters show up as tables or drop down menus, you can sort by dimension or metric, limit the number of results, and apply many other styling options.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I should probably add that you cannot currently filter by metrics, so you probably won't be able to show only sessions with engaged users, but you could add columns for time on site, pages per session, or bounce rate and then sort your table by one of those metrics to push the low value sessions to the bottom.