5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How do I feed the DataStudio date control data to a GDdoc spreadsheet report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a simple GDOC spreadsheet with configured Analytics report. From this report's results, I use a field as a data source for one of my Data Studio reports. A simple numeric value. The problem is, this GDOC report has it's own date range specified, and the Data Studio date range will not affect the results (since it's completely separate).

Two questions then: 1) how do I feed the data from the date control in Data Studio to the date fields in the GDoc Spreadsheet and 2) how do I make this report run automatically any time the date inputted in said control is changed by the user?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Check the video in the online help. It helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jafy-CB148k

If you select the chart(s) and the date picker choose to "Group" them (right Mouse, Group).  

Initially I didn't have a Group option and found I had changed some other setting... did a Select-All and Right-Mouse, Make-Page-Level.  Then the Group option was available.

It looks like you can have multiple date pickers on the page so just group the right date picker with the right chart(s).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Grouping them together didn't affect the final number of the report. In other words, the date control does not affect the scorecard even if they're grouped, which I guess it makes sense since the scorecard's source, which is a cell on a GDOCs spreadsheet, is not changed by these controls.
This should be possible to pull off but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

Re: How do I feed the DataStudio date control data to a GDdoc spreadsheet report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue for question 1). Would be very helpfull.

For question 2), you could

a) specify "start date" as the first day you want your data collection for, "end date" as today(), and schedule an automatic refresh each day.

b) You'll then also need to add a date dimension/column to your data : 

Capture1.PNG 

c) link datastudio to your spreadsheet with the spreadsheet connector and select your date column as date range dimension

Capture2.PNG