AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How do I display the max date, aka the "last modified" date?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have created a report on data that will be modified manually, on no predictable schedule.  It's important to display the date it was last updated as well as the total number of days spanned by the dataset.

First I created a calculated field MAX(date).  Unfortunately this always produces an error, even though all of the date values are parsed correctly in other calculations.  It looks like MAX is not supported for dates in Data Studio.

I decided I'd just calculate MAX(date) in the spreadsheet itself and display the value directly.  I calculated the span = MAX(date) - MIN(date) in the spreadsheet while I was at it.  I was able to display the span, but not the MAX(date).  This is because I was able to convert the numeric value into a metric by taking the SUM, AVG, MIN, or MAX (of just one value), but no aggregation is allowed on date values.

I tried creating a calculated field where I just added the span to the first date in the dataset, which is static.  This resulted in an error because this type of calculation is not supported in Data Studio.

I tried converting the "max date" column from the spreadsheet into a number so that I could then turn it into a metric and take the SUM, AVG, MIN, or MAX like I had with the span.  It said "No data".

I tried changing my spreadsheet value to an integer with VALUE(MAX(date)), even though the DATEVALUE function is not available in Data Studio.  This correctly displays the integer value in the scorecard.  As mentioned there is no formulaic way to convert it to a date.  There is also no Style UI item to help with the conversion.

So I come to you all for help.  How can I display the maximum date value from my dataset in a Data Studio report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It happens exactly the same to me. I get the value of date, I convert it to number, I identify it in a value by day and month, but it does not allow it to be taken to a date format. Concatenating this last string value in text fields and nesting them to simulate the date is the only thing that simulates a solution.
regards

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What I've done to get around this is to pull the date into a table, sort descending by date, and then scale down the box so that only that max date is showing. Not necessarily ideal, but a workaround.