AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How do I display Google Analytics Custom Dimensions in my data studio report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm working to build a dashboard for my content marketing team showing post traffic by author. To do this I've added a custom dimension to Google analytics and am passing this data in through Tag Manager along with the GA tracking code. Now the data is sitting in GA but I can't find the corresponding CustomDimension1 / CustomDimension2 etc... dimension to make this all work. I did find a bunch of values called customVarName1/2/3 etc.. but those don't include anything.

Is this functionality missing or am I blind?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam B
April 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Aha. I just had to reconnect the data source and it loaded all of my new custom dimensions with the names that I had set in Google Analytics (was expecting CustomDimension1, CustomDimension2 or indexes similar to GTM).

Super sad that this isn't retroactive.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I don't have a direct answer for you but I went to play in the Query Explorer tool to see if the custom dimensions work there and I noticed they do but when I tried to run the query it just hangs. So maybe those variables are intended to be the custom dimensions but they are currently broken?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam B
April 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Aha. I just had to reconnect the data source and it loaded all of my new custom dimensions with the names that I had set in Google Analytics (was expecting CustomDimension1, CustomDimension2 or indexes similar to GTM).

Super sad that this isn't retroactive.