AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How do I compare This year (YTD) with same period last year instead of all of last year?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have added ScoreCard data for Revenue setting default date range to Custom: "this year" which is basically YTD and I want to compare that number to same period Last Year, but when I add "Date compare type": "last year" it compares to the entire last year instead of using the same period for last year and that comparison is useless, how do I fix that or is that really a bug?

Cheers

Bo

How do I compare This year (YTD) with same period last year instead of all of last year?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The only way I've found to do this is to update the YTD date range, rather than selecting "this year". Until they have a dynamic date range (up until today), this is going to be a problem and DS isn't smart enough to slice your "this year" date range so it includes dates that only happen compared to those same days last year.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Litmon

Thank you for your reply unfortunately that is not really a feasible solution, I need the dynamic date range as we have in Analytics, I will try and send it as feedback, and cross my fingers :-)

Cheers

Bo 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

+1 that when selecting this year, this month, this quarter, etc. that historical date range comparisons should default to only the days that had already happened in the comparison period too.

I would think that in most cases, if someone selects "this year" with comparison to "last year" they probably mean this year YTD vs last year YTD.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Agreed! Looking forward to this too!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I found a way to do this. It's not a bit of work, but is do-able. 

Use Google sheets and the Google Analytics Add-on. 

Create a report for this year. Just set the start date to the 1st of january. (or your own startdate)

Set End date to today. 

Choose your metrics and dimensions and run the report to see if it works. 

Then create the second report. 

Set the start date to 1 year before your start date from the first report. (just type the date)

Set the end date to =TODAY()-365

Now you'll get the right data and we can compare it.

In the Add-on you can schedule reports to run every day (or hour, week, etc). So data updates automatically. 

Of course you can create a new tab and start calculating with your data. 

If you use this sheet as a datasource in data studio, you'll be able to show the numbers from both years. You can calculate differences/growth/decline/etc in your sheet and also use that data in DS. 

Hope this helps a bit. It's a bit of work, but if you do it right it runs automatically and you sort of bypass this missing feature in DS. (Hope google fixes this in the near future!)