Data Studio
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How can I report on YouTube video titles in Data Studio?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to bring in the video title our videos on YouTube, but can only seem to see the 'External Video ID' listed in the YouTube Sample Channel report template. I want to be able to list each video and show the number of views and other relevant data. The External ID tells me, and the viewers of the report, absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure where to find the external ID for each video. Is this the info that displays in the unique URL for each video?

If that's the case - we need a way to display the video title based on the ID.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gary, 

I developed a calculated field based on the video title and displayed that instead. 

thanks

Nicole

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicole, 

I am also interested into it but I was not able to find the video title.

Can you please share your solution. This would be great.

Many Thanks,

Marco

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes - you can create a calculated field - but there is a character limit. So, if you want to see many titles, or a few titles that are on the long side, this is not a good solution. I have a playlist with about 15 different videos. Unfortunately, using the calculated field method, I was only able to convert about 3 titles before the calculation failed. 

Here's the setup for the calculation: CASE WHEN External Video Id = "xxxxxx1" THEN "<Enter Lesson Title>" WHEN External Video Id = "xxxxxx2" THEN "<Enter Lesson Title>" WHEN External Video Id = "xxxxxx3" THEN "<Enter Lesson Title>" WHEN External Video Id = "xxxxxx4" THEN "<Enter Lesson Title>" END

Replace "xxxxxx1,xxxxxx2,xxxxxx3,etc" with the external ID numbers

Replace "<Enter Lesson Title>" with the actual lesson title that corresponds to the external ID number

Not sure what the actual character limit is unfortunately. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gary,

do you have a better solution meanwhile?

The video name should be a standard dimension? I do not need a report with IDs which nobody knows.

Maybe a Google employee can help here.

Best regards

Milan

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

We are working on exposing the video name as a standard dimension. This should be available in Jan / Feb.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've noticed the ability to pick 'Video Title' as a dimension in Data Studio but every time I do the table produces a System Error. Currently it is reporting System Error 29118aec although I have seen others. 

Is this still not a functioning feature as its the only thing stopping me using Data Studio for reporting stats to my company.

Thanks

Re: How can I report on YouTube video titles in Data Studio?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

First: wanted to confirm to everyone on this thread that we did recently launch "Video Title" as a dimension in the YouTube connector. You can access that field by creating a new YouTube data source or by refreshing any of your existing YouTube data sources that were created prior to this improvement.

@Matt C: not sure why Video Name isn't working correctly for you but would be happy to troubleshoot. Would you be able to share the report that's returning an error (with edit access) with data-studio-help@google.com?

Thanks!

Alon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see only Video Title as a field after refresh I cannot find Video Name?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi @John M -- good catch, the new field name is indeed 'Video Title'. I'll correct in my previous post. Thanks!

(edit: whoops I did it AGAIN. The new field is 'Video Title!!')