Data Studio
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How can I manage my BigQuery costs when it is connected to Datastudio?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a small database in BigQuery that I have connected to Datastudio. It is an exceptionally small database -- will probably always be 1GB or less. However, a big team will have access to the Datastudio reports it is connected to, and they might be refreshing the datastudio reports all the time, 24/7.

I guess I have a two-part question: 1. am I charged in BigQuery every time a user changes the date range on a datastudio report, and 2. is there any way to limit these charges?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dakota M
March 2017

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

To add to Ben's answer, you can also take advantage of Data Studio's caching layer (read more here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7020039?hl=en). Depending on the controls on you put on the page, Data Studio will construct a cache to answer queries generated from the report. Any queries that miss the cache will incur cost via BQ, but queries that hit the cache do not incur cost.

Data Studio will scan the BQ table every 12 hours in order to construct the cache(this also incurs BQ query cost). Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Dakota M,

Every time the query runs you will be paying for that, so yes, if you share the report I believe these queries will also add to your bill. You can add limits and warnings to your billing account so that you remain in control of spending, there's information on how to do that at the following link:

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/quotas

Hope that helps,

Ben

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dakota M
March 2017

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

To add to Ben's answer, you can also take advantage of Data Studio's caching layer (read more here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7020039?hl=en). Depending on the controls on you put on the page, Data Studio will construct a cache to answer queries generated from the report. Any queries that miss the cache will incur cost via BQ, but queries that hit the cache do not incur cost.

Data Studio will scan the BQ table every 12 hours in order to construct the cache(this also incurs BQ query cost). Hope that helps!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Dave

do you think controlling the cache is something you may be interested in implementing, my scenario is different, my data change only once a week, it make sense in my case to have the ability to keep the cache valid for a  week.  

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi,

Yes, we're discussing richer cache controls to address use cases like yours, but we don't have any firm plans nor timelines as of yet.