AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3K members online now
3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Help with calculated metric using the 'entrances' metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I'm trying (but currently failing) to create a create a calculated metric to do the following;

I want to be able to express as a %, the number of entrances to pages on the website that don't include .html in their path name and divide this number by the total number of entrances

I know that the metric to use is 'Entrances' but beyond that I;m a little stuck. Any help would be very gratefully received

Re: Help with calculated metric using the 'entrances' metric

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a similar scenario for one of my clients, where they have a number of landing pages going through "post.aspx". So I tried to do what you asked.

I'm afraid there's no way to do it.

•  DS doesn't support TOTAL(), so you can't do "SUM of Landing Page Sessions matching .htm / TOTAL(Sessions)"
  • I tried using a CASE such as CASE WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Landing Page, 'fiche.aspx') THEN Sessions ELSE 0 END, but DS complains "An expression can have either metrics or dimensions, but not both" - I wonder why, because this logic would make sense

The best I was able to do is create two Scorecards:

1. Entrances
  2. Entrances with the filter "EXCLUDE Landing Page Contains .htm"

2017-06-27_09-12-22.png

We see what we want... except we can't do the calculation...

I'm curious to know if someone will find a way to do it!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Maybe you can use the MAX()-function to calculate the sessions?
Something like: MAX(CASE WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Landing Page, 'fiche.aspx') THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

You can find more information in the article "Conditional calculated fields" in Data Studio help.

Kind regards

Sascha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Sascha - this is helpful but wouldn't it return a count of the sessions that match the condition you set, rather than the percentage of all entrances?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, that's right!

I think on this basis, you can then determine the percentage in another formula?

Kind regards

Sascha

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Sascha - doing MAX(CASE WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Landing Page, 'fiche.aspx') THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) will inevitably return 1 as soon as one Landing Page contains fiche.aspx... so that doesn't work.