Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Help getting uploaded data into Time Series Chart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm new to the Data Studio and I'm trying to setup my first Time Series chart from an uploaded CSV. 

Screen_Shot_2017-05-01_at_15_41_43.jpg

My data has a lot of series to it. I am plotting the performance of items over time (in months) I am at a total loss as to how to get Data Studio to plot each item as a series and plot my graph! See the screenshot of how the data is laid out. 

I've annotated it show how I would do this in Excel.

Any tips for this beginner would be very welcome!

Many thanks! :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James J
May 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I think you're running into problems because Data Studio will read each column as a different metric, rather than a time series. If you flip it and have the dates running down column A and the name of the metric running across row 1, this should make things easier. Just make sure that you set up your date as YYYYMM rather than Jun 15 (once it's in your chart, DS will automatically convert it to the readable format).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James J
May 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I think you're running into problems because Data Studio will read each column as a different metric, rather than a time series. If you flip it and have the dates running down column A and the name of the metric running across row 1, this should make things easier. Just make sure that you set up your date as YYYYMM rather than Jun 15 (once it's in your chart, DS will automatically convert it to the readable format).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

try flipping your time axis to the first column -- all data in columns, instead of cross-tabs. Also, I find that when stuck, the best thing is to try getting your data to show up in the box hart (instead of bars, pies, time series). If you can get the data to display there, then you've made progress..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Litmon, thanks, I'd feared that would would be the case!

Thanks for your help! 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Craig, that matches the previous comment too and I'll go for the table first, good plan!

Thanks for your input!

Re: Help getting uploaded data into Time Series Chart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah -- there's a lot of tossing stuff at the wall to figure out what
works.....

--
Craig Green
Rabbit, LLC
703-864-3502