4.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Having trouble filtering conversion data in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several conversion actions I'd like to report. I want to only include conversions from our website and exclude analytics data from the report. The problem is at one point some of the analytics conversions were included in conversions. I changed this so analytics conversions are not included in reporting. My issue is when I'm in Data Studio, I cannot get my filter to work properly. My filter uses Exclude > Conversion Source > Analytics (contains) but it is not working the way I expect. Conversions go to 0.  I'd like to know if I'm doing this right way or if anyone has experienced the same thing and knows a workaround. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Getting the same problem. Only that in my case the chart directly fails and gives me an error message (a different one every time)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Dan M

Can you send a screenshot of your filter ?

Re: Having trouble filtering conversion data in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Patrick, 

Yes, please see the attached screenshot. I realized there's no Conversion Action Source field so I changed my filter to Conversion Action Name instead and updated the value but that didn't work for me either. I even tried an "Include" filter by Conversion Action Name but had no success. I'm not sure if my operator is correct but any feedback to get this working will be appreciated. Thanks. 

AdWords-Conversion-Filter-DataStudio.JPGConversion action name filter

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dan,

your filter seems to be correct. 

Are you sure that the value you want to exclude is really in "Conversion action name" ?

If you want to be sure, try to do the same filter in Google Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, I will give that a try.

Yes, here is the full name of my analytics view; Heating Brochure Download A (Main View - ALL MARKET LOCATIONS - mitsubishicomfort.hs-sites.com).

I have 7 analytics views with a similar naming convention all using the same domain. The website goals I do want to report do not include the domain name. I was hoping to use Source to make excluding conversions from "Analytics" easier like in the AdWords reporting tool. 

Re: Having trouble filtering conversion data in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Patrick, 

I'm having the same problem. Could you please take a look at my screenshots and tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Here's a screenshot of the Goal names on AdWords:

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 11.24.27.jpg

I'm trying to filter out the transactions from a chart, so I'm trying to create this filter:

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 11.30.56.jpg

Now, just in case, I've tried using "Conversion action name" and "Segment conversion type name" and tried with three different options available from the next drop down menu (Contains, Starts with, Equal to) and obviously tried writing Transactions, or Tran, or transactions, tran, etc.
This means I tried at least 24 different variations of this and got a different error code every single time, which doesn't really seem to indicate anything in particular, as even trying the same variation twice will return a different code every time:

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 11.39.27.jpg

I'm confident the data source is configured properly as it works perfectly with all items on the reports and even with this same chart when the chart doesn't have the filter applied to it, si it must a filter/data studio problem I think? 

I tried with a different account too, which has only two conversions, one coming from analytics and one coming from adwords. With this one, I tried the same as above first (24 variations) and on top of that, I tried filtering by Conversion Source and Conversion category, which added 8 more variations for a grand total of 32 (or 56 if you count both accounts). 

After over 60 attempts - A few variations like the example above seemed obvious, so I tried them more than once just in case - I'm on the brink of giving up or going crazy (probably both) and don't really know what else to try. I've created over 20 bespoke reports for our clients and this is the first problem like this I cannot resolve (usually the limitations come from a Data Studio development point of view). Please HELP!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

can you try to do something 

Create a table chart where you can display the values of your field "Conversion action name" and "sessions" as metric or another one. 

So without filter in the chart.

Can you show me the screenshot about this chart ? 

Other ask, do you have a segment in GA to exclude this kind of records ?

If you have it, you can add this segment in your chart, under the place "filter"

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Mariano, the issue you're having with the filter could be related to capitalization. The filters are case-sensitive, so if the name you're trying to filter out is Transactions, then "trans" won't capture that.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

By the way Guys, for some charts in "configuration error", you should take a look on your metrics used in your charts !

I discover today that we have new fields GA data source. Some of my charts who were working great , were in "configuration error".

Then try to see if you don't have a similar metric in the same category.

For me, it was for "Unique Events" and "Nb Unique Events"