AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Has anyone re-created a similar dashboard to the new "Home" Dashboard on GA?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 7.32.01 PM.jpg

<- Like this one?

I'm about to work on recreating some of them for my standard base-template, but if anyone wants to share the load or has some done it would be nice to share. I hate tedious things.

I really like the active user one but not sure if it's possible w/ straight GA

Has anyone re-created a similar dashboard to the new &quot;Home&quot; Dashboard on GA?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No, but it looks good. I will give it a try myself! I find it very cool! 

Re: Has anyone re-created a similar dashboard to the new "Home" Dashboard on GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taylor!

Currently, Data Studio does not offer metrics like Active Users as I see in my reports options

Has anyone re-created a similar dashboard to the new &quot;Home&quot; Dashboard on GA?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No, 

But you can get Number of sessions instead. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Data Studio sadly doesn't offer all the visualizations you see under the GA Home tab - no map, no heatmap, no cohort style, and very limited interactions, and no ability to let the user select a segment. I wish there was more uniformity between the various solutions - I guess this will come eventually. I don't see why DS and GA wouldn't share the same visualization libraries.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, with the Table chart, you can add a "heatmap" within the Style options panel. Still not fulfill all our needs, but there are new features weeks after weeks! 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Agree, and I would add, Adwords has a whole separate (new) reporting application, that is in many ways better than Google Analytics. Drag and drop fields to your heart's content. I guess this is what they mean by Google having many separate "silos" as as business. 

Simply put, I think it is clear that users want to be able to edit/modify the widgets in this new Home view. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Oh yes! That's right Smiley Happy

I recently had to advise one of my clients for a good reporting & dashboarding solution, ranging from Excel/Google Sheet with plugins to Data Studio, to one of multiple SaaS-based solutions and up to Tableau. Given their maturity level, I advised them to go with Data Studio even if for now there are some limitations. The solution is evolving very quickly and I have no doubt within a couple of months it will be a very different product.

Story repeats itself... when GA came out competitors dismissed it as "free", "entry level". Look now! GA is used by over 80% of the Top Retailers according to a study by Cardinal Path.

When GTM was launched, all competitors played the game of saying Google was "educating" the market - sure did! GTM is now the dominant solution amongst retailers.

Little birds are telling me SaaS-based dashboarding solutions will have a hard time (GoT reference totally intended!)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great stuff Taylor but it would be better if we could convert the home dashboard into a report?