Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Graphing the Results of Checkbox Responses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I'm looking for help graphing the results of checkbox responses using Data Studio.

I'm using TypeForm.com to gather survey responses and peoples' answers to "check all that apply" questions end up being displayed like this...

Data.png

Ultimately I'd like for this data to be graphed like this...

Chart.png

This is probably very simple to do in data studio but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Any suggestions?  Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance for your help!

JB

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I also would like to have a solution for this exact question. 

Re: Graphing the Results of Checkbox Responses

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You need to flatten your results so that you have 1 singular Dimension for your responses and not a single dimensions (multiple columns) per response type.

In your case, this would mean you have a single row and 2 columns for every single response.  Your first column would still be date but your second column would be Response Type

This would allow you to create a bar chart and then display the total number of values of each Response Type.

2018-05-22_0827.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks I get that but perhaps I should have clarified further. The data is pulling from a database to Google sheets which automatically updates, so I would want to get this done automatically as new data comes in. I suspect that I would need to import the data to another sheet, but is there a way to set it up that the data automatically gets pulled into the other sheet as new data enters as well as with other data such as date, country, council, etc... 

Thanks in advance

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm no expert with Google Sheets but I've seen some automated scripts to unpivot tables:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/docs/5UAxnQKMFm8

https://cloud.google.com/dataprep/docs/html/Unpivot-Transform_57344656