AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Sheets: Date Range

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Help please...  My source is a google sheet.  The table has multiple date fields.  Even when I put the same formatting on the fields, the fields get presented differently in data studio.  Please let me know what I am missing or if this a bug

image.pngGoogle sheet sourceimage.pngData studio edit connectionimage.pngData Studio Report (Table)

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm not entirely clear what the issue is. Is it not pulling through properly into your charts? 

I notice that in your Sheet, you have dates set up in the format MM/DD/YYYY. Data Studio will read the date significantly better if you put it in the format YYYYMMDD.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have tried seemingly all date formats and date data type combinations and each time, DS displays them differently.  My question is why is data studio displaying similarly formatted fields that are similar data types differently in charts?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I think it's likely they're trying to make it look "nicer" and "more readable" but having it spell out the date (July 15, 2017 as opposed to 7/15/17). From my perspective, it clutters up the charts, I'd much rather if I could select the month to be a number rather than the whole month name, it takes less space.