AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Sheet Data Filter is confusing the datastudio report output

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a data studio report with dataset as one of my google sheet. After creating the report I was validating some information with the values on sheet and used Data Filter to get the information on the sheet. But later some time I was confused to see my report as it was not rendering some report fields saying no data available. I tried a lot of undo on the report as I never imagined that the filter on the sheet is actually affecting the data available to the report.

Is there a way to toggle the presence of data filter (on google sheet) to on/off on dataset (on datastudio). If not, I request to consider it as bug, as in my understanding the google sheet filter should be used for viewing the data on sheet app not on datastudio side.

Regards

-Sanjith

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I think that filtering a table in Sheets will have the same affect on your Data Studio Dashboards that use that sheet as a data source. 

If you need to apply filters within Sheets while not affecting Data Studio reports, I would recommend creating a pivot table in another sheet from your primary table and then applying your filters there. Or you could use importrange formula to effectively duplicate your table in another sheet where you can apply filters. 

The key here is that you want to have a primary table that contains the raw data without any filters or other modifications. This table is then used as a data source in Data Studio and/or in other Sheets where you can manipulate the data however needed. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for those suggestions. I was following some of them for time being. But if this is a accepted case, then it will be better to provide a warning or message on the data source page if Filter is ON on the selected sheet (as data source).