AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Play Data in Data Studio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Has anyone got a method for getting Google Play data into Data Studio without manually exporting from Google Play?

Looking to get the data in daily if possible.

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe you can use Google Big Query to export data from GP and import from BQ to DS

Re: Google Play Data in Data Studio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

1 - Download reports from Google Cloud Storage to Google Cloud Compute Engine with "gsutil command".

2 - Convert the CSV files from UTF-16 to UTF-8 with "iconv command".

3 - Load data into Google BigQuery from Google Cloud Compute Engine with "bq command".

4 - Connect to the Google BigQuery data source from Google Data Studio.

For example

gsutil cp gs://pubsite_prod_rev_000000000000000/stats/installs/installs_com_example_app_201710_overview.csv /home/username/google-play/
iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 /home/username/google-play/installs_com.example.app_201710_overview.csv > /home/username/google-play/installs_com_example_app_201710_overview_utf8.csv
bq load --format csv --skip_leading_rows=1 --field_delimiter "," --replace google_play.raw_com_example_app_201710 /home/username/google-play/installs_com_example_app_201710_overview_utf8.csv date:DATE,package_name:STRING,daily_device_installs:INTEGER,daily_device_uninstalls:INTEGER,daily_device_upgrades:INTEGER,total_user_installs:INTEGER,daily_user_installs:INTEGER,daily_user_uninstalls:INTEGER,active_device_installs:INTEGER
bq query --destination_table=google_play.all_tables --replace "SELECT date, package_name, daily_device_installs, daily_device_uninstalls, daily_device_upgrades, total_user_installs, daily_user_installs, daily_user_uninstalls FROM TABLE_QUERY([project-1234:google_play], 'REGEXP_MATCH(table_id, r\"^raw_com_example_app_[\d]\")')"

Regards,

Sinan

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, 

You can now automate Google Play Store data within BigQuery. It is called Google BigQuery Transfer API (https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/transfer/). The (automated) flow will then be: BigQuery >> Data Studio.  

@Nick H wrote:

Hi there,

Has anyone got a method for getting Google Play data into Data Studio without manually exporting from Google Play?

Thanks a lot,

Nick

@Nick H wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Great Thank you!

What about itunes connect? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

It's possible.

I use iTunesConnectAnalytics

Regards,

Sinan

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey there, kind of a newbie at using gsutil so I have quite a few questions. Mainly, at the moment, I am trying to test out downloading files from the google play store to my local Linux VM.

When I run the gsutil command with the cp command from above it doesn’t seem to work and asks for other flags (password, etc).

Is there a different version of gsutil that you are using to get the file from Play Store or are you using the standard one on Linux?

Do I need to specify the admin account from Play store inside the gsutil perl script? If so, where? If I’m not admin, is there still a way to access play store via gsutil with my google account?

Also, in play store, I can’t seem to find a location that exposes a URL with the csv to be downloaded. Is there an API that I need to access instead to get the files?

That’s pretty much it for now, still testing to see how I can use gsutil to pull info from play store.

Thanks in advance

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

The following guidelines will help you.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/6135870?hl=en

Regards,

Sinan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, 

As mentioned before, one can today (not tomorrow, not in a month from now),  automate Google Play Store data within BigQuery. Bigquery handles your data as a data warehouse, where you can massage/mung/play/wrangle it as you wish and thereafter display it in Google Data Studio. I think if you are a marketing agency, this is a pretty cool service to automate for a client. 

There are restrictions such as custom scheduling of triggers, which needs some work around, but the idea is you can automate this process so that you don't have to go into the terminal every Monday morning to run a script. You should just spend some time setting it up and troubleshoot/audit your data thereafter. 

I just managed to set-up Google BigQuery Transfer API for an app and I am in the process of writing queries to query the Google Play Store data within Bigquery to be displayed in Google Data Studio via custom queries. 

If enough people sign-up to the form, I will write a post about it, and notify everybody when its done: https://goo.gl/forms/ib7s3A7CCVqnMRk02

Regards

Dirk

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you, Sinan

From what I understand this method requires quite a few manual steps such as "download","convert" etc Is there a way of automating this "without manually exporting from Google Play" as per original topic starter question ...?