5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Data Studio shareable links not opening

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When sharing viewable links with co-workers some of them are being prompted to open with a google app or download.  I have worked with GDS before and have never had this problem before.  Usually they can click and it will bring them directly to the report.  I have tried the usual things of switching accounts, incognito browser etc...

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @matt l,

When you share a report from Data Studio, it is basically adding it to your Google Drive. Depending on permissions there, it can cause issues. Try visiting your Google Drive and seeing what permissions are set for the file/folder.

Also, the person receiving the shared folder would need to have a Google Account. This might be why some users can see/access it and others cannot. 

Lastly, make sure the report within GDS is set for shares and not read only.

If these still won't allow the share, you can use the print to PDF (Google Chrome), so that you can create a PDF of a single report page. Just select to print the report and then change the printer to PDF.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Appreciate the quick response here!

However, I already tried the Google Drive solution before and it still didn’t work.  Printing is really not a solution because this defeats the purpose of GDS ability to be interactive.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts!

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having same issue. This is pretty inconsistent as 'share to anyone with the link' should work sans Google account