AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Data Studio not pulling data from connected Google Sheet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does Google Data Studio have a way to just bring a number in a cell over from a linked Google Sheet?

April 24, the number will be 40

April 25, the number will be 41

April 26, the number may be 40 or 42

I have row A set as column names and column 1 set as date following the format YYYY-MM-DD (in Google Sheets I don't see a date format of YYYYMMDD without the dashes). That part seems to work. But as soon as I try to bring the numerical data over that is in the table, GDS can only give me the count (number representing how many entries I have), sum of all numbers in that column, average of all numbers, max of all numbers, min of all numbers, but never the number itself.

I even thought to input the numerical field from as text (since I just need the value), but that changes the value from a metric to a dimension and then I can't use the value.

Google Data Studio not pulling data from connected Google Sheet

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Rotate D

I have done something similar to pull through a daily budget number, linked on date - I believe this may give you what your looking for, here's a link to my blog post walk through:

http://singularbean.co.uk/bullet-charts-with-a-dynamic-goal-in-google-data-studio/

In this example it's a bar chart, but you can pull this number through in a scorecard if you prefer and it will work just fine.

Hope that helps,
Ben