Data Studio
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Data Studio - Sharing with users logged into multiple google accounts issue

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, when I share a report on google data studio with another person within our company, I usually need to add their personal google account to the report as well, otherwise they get a blank page saying "No preview available" with an option to download. (The download button doesn't provide anything useful.)

Steps to reproduce: 

1) Create report in google data studio

2) If a user is logged into 2 google accounts, ie personal@gmail.com, and business@businessname.com, share the report with business@businessname.com

3) When user clicks on email notification of the share, or the direct link, they see a page saying "No preview available."

4) Now share the report with personal@gmail.com as well

5) The user can view the report. 

I'm loving google data studio!! Hopefully the bug can be fixed soon! Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Data Studio - Sharing with users logged into multiple google accounts issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey! I'm having the exact same issue. Let me know if you get it solved!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Andrew D and @Tim D,

It's great to hear you are enjoying Data Studio. I think it is a great product, too.

The issues you are encountering is not a bug. Data Studio actually uses your Google Drive to store Data Studio reports. This is why a business email client is not seeing the same thing as the gmail client... as all gmail account come with a Google Drive.

If you go to your Google Drive, you will see the reports there. And if you right click on them and change the permissions from private to public... they should be accessible to all, even those you do not know. You can also add someone specifically, too.

Please keep in mind that since it is a Google Drive document, anyone accessing the reports still need to have a Google Account, which can be with a gmail or business email address... but that person would need to go to Google My Account and set up that email (non-gmail) to be a Google Account (agree to terms, etc.), which takes about 2 minutes to do.

Aside from what I have stated, you can open your report in Data Studio and use Google Chrome's print to feature. You basically print the report but you change your printer from your actual printer to "print to pdf." 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey James, Thanks for your response, however I don't think you understood the issue. 

I just ran into this again, so it hasn't been fixed. Just to reiterate this definitely a bug. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

You are welcome... although I am sorry to hear the issue is still present. One of the common issues with report sharing is with Google Drive permissions and the way Google Accounts work. 

However, if you open Data Studio and click on the three stacked dots in the upper left hand corner, you can click on Feedback and send the support team detailed info (with any screenshots) so they can assist further. 

All the Best,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James, I have already done that for this issue and a few others. I got absolutely nothing back, not even an email acknowledging that I had submitted feedback. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You are welcome. 

Please note that generally you will not be contacted about your feedback, yet they are greatly appreciated andused to shape the product. 

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Similar complaint here. My company currently uses the Google suite of services for email, doc sharing, etc. I have created a Google Data Studio report that allows everyone with a link at my company to access it. However, I'm having an issue where some people in the company can access the report fine, some people are getting a permission error, and some people can access the report but none of the data is populating in the reports. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for why some people can access the report and why others can't. Furthermore, when people request access manually, I never see their requests come to my inbox like it would for a Google doc. When I manually go into the report to give an individual user access (even though everyone should be able to access it since I have open sharing turned on), they don't receive the notification and they are still unable to see the report. Sharing with personal emails is not an option for security reasons and the sensitivity of the information in the reports.

We use Google docs on a daily basis, so I'm very familiar with how sharing works in the Google suite. This simply appears to be a bug. Please help! My company is relying on these reports and printing/saving them as PDFs completely defeat the purpose of the interactive dashboard I've created. 

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'm hoping by continuing to bring this up that someone at Google will take notice, because this issue has all but made Google Data Studio somewhat useless to us if everyone can't access the report. Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am having some of the same issues.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also seeing this issue.  If a user is logged into Chrome with both their gSuite account and their personal email the embedded Data Studio reports display "This Data Studio report is private".