AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics not Tracking Facebook Referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I have a website set up with Google Analytics and it is not tracking Facebook as a referral source. I look at my Facebook data and I am receiving clicks to my website. Can anyone help me understand why no Facebook referral traffic is being tracked?

Thanks in advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics not Tracking Facebook Referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
One question to clarify: If you click from Facebook to your website, does a visit appear in Google Analytics (from direct or a Facebook source)?

If there is a direct visit, then the answer is that referrals are at the discretion of the user's browser whether they get reported properly. Facebook likes to overwrite the referral information most times, so you never get the actual page it came from. It may be that they have taken it one step further... The solution to this is to start using UTM campaign tagging in your links. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1037445

If you are not getting any visits at all, then there is something wrong with your website tracking and it has nothing to do with Facebook. There is enough fake spam traffic these days that I have seen a few people fooled into thinking their website tracking was working, but all the visits they saw were spam.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.