Data Studio
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a report with multiple pages in DataStudio. I am using Google Analytics segments to filter the data on each page. So basically every page of the report is the same except a different Google Analytics segment is applied in the Page > Current Page Settings section of the page. All of the sudden - every page on the report just has the spinning blue circle in that Google Analytics Segment spot now. It will not pull in the segement the page is using - BUT the page is still using the segment. I can tell by the data that is displayed that the segment is still active. But this is what we are seeing:

 

2017-06-22_10-09-26.png

 

I then went to Resources > Manage Segments to look at the segments that were attached and it just says "Loading segments..." but they never appear:

 

2017-06-22_10-10-53.png

 I'm not sure when this happened but we noticed it when a user (who was not the creator/owner of the report) went in and copied an existing page to set up a new page/report. They then opened up the edit panel to go select the Google Analytics segment they wanted to use - but instead only saw this spinning wheel. I (the owner and creator) of the report then went in to look at it and now I see this spinning wheel on every page in the report.

 

My assumption was that she was not able to see/connect to the GA Segments, because those segments were set up in my account. But why now can I not see those segments either? I would have thought though that she could go in a select from any of the segments I have already attached to the report.

 

Any one see this and know how I can fix it?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

And the data is still displayed within the charts? Have you enabled or disable cache? And have you tried reconnecting the original data source? 

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes - the correct data is still displayed in the charts. I have enabled and disabled cache - and the result is the same. Just spins on page settings and never loads the segments under resources. I've since duplicated the report and everything seems to work fine in the duplicated report - but this one just won't connect. On the duplicated report we were able to go in and add the new page and new segment as well. But this one appears to just be dead.

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same thing now, did yours work itself out?

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's fixed now, but I can not remember 100% what it was. Had something to do with other users (who had not built the original dashboard) duplicating pages, and trying to make changes to the segment on the new page. I think we duplicated the entire dashboards and the new ones worked fine. Sorry I can't be of more help - just can't remember exactly what our solution was now.

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for responding, there's 2 of us here in the office working on it so could well be on to something here! Cheers.

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. In the end we duplicated the whole report and it worked.

 

Strange one - nothing else worked, not even removing data source + re-adding.

Google Analytics Segments not loading in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TL;DR - this could be an authorization issue with DataStudio accessing your GA data

 

I ran into the same issues and after reading this thread, I tried making a copy of my report to see if the problem would resolve itself. In the process of doing that, I was prompted to add another data source (dialog is not clear in my opinion), and mistakenly I tried adding the same resource again. At this point, I had a screen come up saying that DataStudio needed authorization to access my GA data. I chose the account I wanted, then the property, then the view and authorized. Thinking this was probably the issue, I canceled out of the copy step and went back to my existing report. Sure enough the segments show up in Resources > Manage Segments and the Segment in use is now showing properly in the Data pane for a given report object. Thanks everyone here for helping me get on the right track. This issue was driving me to distraction.

 

DataStudio engineers, if you're monitoring this community for threads on #bugs, please provide a [RE-AUTHORIZE] button, or failing that, at least some error-handling and feedback to the user on how to remedy this issue. The documentation isn't bad, but this case is not addressed and what makes less sense after reading the documentation is why the problem happens. I had full access to all the necessary items but for some reason, authorization seemed to have quit without warning and as the owner of the report AND the data source AND the segment, I couldn't understand what was going on.