Data Studio
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Date/Time fields from the BigQuery export are not correctly read by DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wanted to deep dive into my raw GoogleAnalytics data, which I get from BigQuery (premium-only feature)

However, the standard time fields are not automatically recongnised by DataStudio.

And when I try to creat calculated field to match them it does not seem work either.

Even for a basic hits.hour field , DataStudio emits a warning that it can not recognize it.

1- Feature Request : can you please make it seamless to have a timedate field from Analytics = > BigQuery => dataStudio ?

2- is there a wizard here in the community who already set a proprer Calculted field ?

Google Analytics Date/Time fields from the BigQuery export are not correctly read by DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have found that you can apply a Date Hour mask when in the Data sources Field Editor which seems to be as low as Data Studio can go...

Careful because Data Studio selects seem to do a group by based on the lowest common denominator in a table view...

We also noted that selecting the Date Hour mask for an attribute (dimension) also removes it as a possibility for the date range controls in Data Studio.