2.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Goals not appearing in Formula bar

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi - I added a new data source to a report this morning. All of my metrics - including the 20 goals associated with the view - appear in Metric Picker as they should.

However, when I try to create a new Calculated Metric, none of the goals are able to be selected (see image).

formula bar bug.PNG

The Goals do appear in the field list:

goals.PNG

I've refreshed data, reconnected data source, cleared cookies/cache but still no goals appear when I'm trying to create a formula.

Is there a time delay from adding a data source to being able to use goals in formulas? Or is there some other error or bug?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David L
June 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If anyone else has this issue I found a workaround...

When you are on the Create Metric screen search for the Goal that you want to build a formula off. Duplicate it. 

In the formula bar start typing 'copy...' and you should see the goal as a copy of itself.

I'll log it on the issue tracker.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I found that DS is sometimes behind with the goal names. So, when I go into the data, I can see all the goals (even ones that haven't actually been defined in GA). But if I define them in GA and rename them, it take a while for the new name to show up in DS. If you look for the goal number (Goal 4 completions) instead of whatever name you gave it in GA, can you find it then?

Re: Goals not appearing in Formula bar

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeh that's what I thought so I've tried different ways to catch up. No - if I search for goal 6 as a field then fine, there it is:

goal 6.PNG

But if I start typing 'Goal...' in the formula bar it lists none of my goals, only generic, Goal Completions/Goal Starts/Goal Value options not tied to any specific goal.

I even tried typing it in manually e.g. '(Goal 3 (Goal 3 Completions) + Goal 4 (Goal 4 Completions) + Goal 5 (Goal 5 Completions))' but it says it can't parse.

One bit of DS isn't talking to the other bits Smiley Sad

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David L
June 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If anyone else has this issue I found a workaround...

When you are on the Create Metric screen search for the Goal that you want to build a formula off. Duplicate it. 

In the formula bar start typing 'copy...' and you should see the goal as a copy of itself.

I'll log it on the issue tracker.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

This Worked for Me.

Click On Metric in RHS  List> Open Metric Picker

Click " Create A New Metric " at the bottom ( Don't Worry - Nothing Bad will happen)

The Bottom Half of the window will open and show the list of Metrics.

Click Refresh Fields ( Status Bar at Bottom  Left of Window)( A Moving Blue Bar at the top indicates refresh) 

Now at RHS of the column titles in Metrics List , click on Search Fields

type the first few letters of your Goal name here ( you should be able to find it) 

If Not repeat the Refresh Fields Once More

Select Your Goal and you're done . 

Now give yourself a pat on the shoulder.