AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

GeoData - correctly locating cities?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have stumbled on an issue when using maps in Data Studio which I do not know how to resolve. I display a map showing sales in different cities across the world; however, Data Studio seems to be very US-centric, and will prefer locations in US to those in other parts of the world, if there is a possibility of choice. For instance, sales in Dublin. Ireland (pop. 572,000 , are shown as coming from Dublin, Ohio (pop. 43,600) and those from Manchester, UK (pop. 514,000) are shown as coming from Manchester, New Hampshire (pop. 110,000). Even a simplified algorithm would at least have chosen the most populous city as the most reasonable location, but a better and correct solution must surely be the ability to specify the country which a particular town is located in.

Now, the data that I am using does have "country" as a field, so it should not prove impossible to fix, but I cannot understand that there is any ability for me as a user of Data Studio to inform the application about this "guide".

A proposed solution could be to always require a valid "Country" field being present in the data source, if "City" is selected as a dimension AND "Continent" or World" are chosen as zoom areas.