AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Map - City displays in the wrong location

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a Geo Map displaying data by City with the Zoom Area set to "United States". 

A couple of my cities are showing up in the wrong state.  Example:  Bellevue, Iowa is showing as Bellevue, Washington.

I'm not able to zoom in any further as my data is country wide, and I don't want to use the latitude, longitude feature because I want the city name to show when my users hover over the dots.

Has anyone figured out how to specify City & State?  Or possibly how to use the latitude, longitude coordinates as my dimension, but display the City name dimension when hovered over.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this same problem. My report is showing "Portland, NY" instead of Portland, OR. Any help on this?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've decided to put a transparent box over my maps to prevent the hover information from showing, and use Latitude and Longitude as my dimension rather than the city name.

Frustrated, as the hover feature really makes the maps but I'm optimistically waiting for a fix from google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is your data source? I'm not getting a dimension option for Lat/Long when importing from Adwords.  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm using a BigQuery database. I calculated the latitude and longitude in an app script before uploading my data to BigQuery.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Conner,

Have you found a better fix for this? My original work around is not an option for a new resource I am working with.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No I have not. It's also proving to be impossible for a new set of data that I'm working with, which needs upwards of 1,000 pins across the North East (that's a lot of latitude/longitudes!). 

Frustrating that no one is addressing this problem.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rachael,

Try using Metro, It does not have the same problem. Another option is to set Advanced Segments in Analytics for select locations and then use the Analytics segment as a filter in Data Studio

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree, it is very frustrating, as the maps become useless if incorrect data is displayed. I've submitted two requests on their Issue Tracker page for a resolution, but requests are addressed by priority based on the number of votes (stars) they receive. Feel free to vote for them and maybe we'll get the option to specify two dimensions such as "City & State" or "City & Country" in the near future.  Fingers crossed!

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/64119230
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/64119772   

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Bryan,

Unfortunately, I an not using Google Analytics. My data is being loaded into BigQuery and then pulled into Data Studio from their. Do you know of a similar work around for this situation?