Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Generate Monthly Report with Percentage Change

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I'm trying to create a report for monthly reporting where it shows the percentage change. 

I can do this in analytics by comparing one date range to another, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in Data Studio. 

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd rather use this than GA screenshots.

Cheers,

David

Re: Generate Monthly Report with Percentage Change

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes this is a way to add a comparison in the Data Panel, see screen shot attached.

2017-06-20_1438.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, however the only options are "previous period" or "previous year," without allowing me to adjust the date range. How do you get around this? I'm getting confusing results. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Well the date range by default is set to "Auto" in that screen shot which is the last 28 days.

You could either tell it custom and change it to whatever you would like, or leave it Auto and then add a date range selector to your dashboard.

Then if you have you component set to a comparison of "previous period" and you set your date range, to say last month, it will then compare last month over the previous month.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Weird, so I did that but the numbers are inconsistent with another report I have on GA. 

I set all of the periods to auto, and then "previous period." Then I set up the selector as you said for that month, and got drastically different results for the percentage difference from the "previous period." Any idea if I'm missing something? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This greatly depends on how many dimensions, metrics, segments, filters and overall amount of traffic you are receiving.

The first thing I typically point to is your data could be getting sampled in Data Studio, and currently Data Studio does not have an indicator that it is sampled.

Can you share more details on the full report you have and how far off the numbers are.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, in GA, it says there were 303,429 in sessions May, which was a 0.35% increase from the previous month. 

However in Data Studio, it also says 303,429 sessions in May, but it was a -2.7% change instead. 

Am I missing something? Both are referencing the same property and the same view. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem might be that when Data Studio does a comparison over "Previous Period" it's going to count the number of days.  May has 31 days and April has 30.  It's not natively comparing exactly 1 month over 1 month because technically they aren't exact comparisons.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That makes sense, Mike. But the differences in the change still strikes me as odd. I'll keep playing around with it. 

Thank you for your patience and your help! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I'm trying to do something similar, which I can do easily in google sheets, but not sure it's possible is GDS.

Here's a link to the document I used to calculate the monthly % change, and the Avg. monthly increase.

See cell C3 - is there a way to get to this number using GDS?