Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

First month not showing in Time series chart

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I have created a time series chart based on data in Google Sheet. It is comparing data for 2016 and 2015 by month, and is set up to show cumulative data. The problem is that the first month (Jan) from the date range doesn't show and the cumulation only kicks of after second month on the chart. I also tried to see if the data for January would who if I un-tick the Cumulative option but it still fails to show January on the chart.

Is there any way to fix that issue?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magdalena P
December 2016

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Had an engineer look into it and he was able to reproduce the issue. Seems the heart of the problem is that our Date Range Dimension only supports dates in YYYYMMDD format, and that trying to do comparisons on other formats such as YYYYMM introduces problems.

We are going to investigate improvements to the Date Range Dimension in 2017, but in the short term there is a hack to make your chart work correctly. What you can do is duplicate your Date field, keep the duplicated field as YYYYMMDD and use it as the "Date Range Dimension". This will allow filtering and comparison to be applied correctly. You can then change the format of the original Date field to YYYYMM and use it in the Time Series chart as "Time Dimension". It's my understanding that this should get your chart to work correctly -- feel free to ping this thread if you are still having problems. Thanks!

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Magdalena -- thanks for reporting this issue. Would you be able to share both the report and trix data source (or at least some sample rows from it) with data-studio-help@google.com? We'll use this to reproduce and troubleshoot. Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, I shared an example report and data source with data-studio-help by email.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello, do you know how long it takes the team to get back on emails? I haven't heard anything back yet on my query...Thanks!

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Magdelena -- apologies for delay here. We're looking into this now and I hope to have an update soon!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magdalena P
December 2016

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Had an engineer look into it and he was able to reproduce the issue. Seems the heart of the problem is that our Date Range Dimension only supports dates in YYYYMMDD format, and that trying to do comparisons on other formats such as YYYYMM introduces problems.

We are going to investigate improvements to the Date Range Dimension in 2017, but in the short term there is a hack to make your chart work correctly. What you can do is duplicate your Date field, keep the duplicated field as YYYYMMDD and use it as the "Date Range Dimension". This will allow filtering and comparison to be applied correctly. You can then change the format of the original Date field to YYYYMM and use it in the Time Series chart as "Time Dimension". It's my understanding that this should get your chart to work correctly -- feel free to ping this thread if you are still having problems. Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I guess I can use this walk around. Would you know why the Date range Dimension option is not available in all reports? The one I sent over was just an example, but if I go into my actual report I don't seem to have this option.... I use a time series chart and similar data so not sure why this should not be available.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Please ignore my previous post - I have now refreshed the report and the functionality is now available!

Thanks

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Great! Happy to hear that worked. Feel free to reach out if you run into other problems.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I had the same issue and this worked for me. It would be great if this could make it into the update schedule so this workaround isn't necessary. Thanks!