5.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Filters as global objects

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a suggestion which would make it easier to create reports with multiple graphs from the same large data set.

Since it is possible to name filters, it would be very useful to be able to re-use a filter created for one graph in another graph, instead of having to define the same filer over and over again. Even more useful would be the ability to select several objects and apply a particular filter, or filter set, on the selection.

I have a report with 7 different graphs, all using the same multiple filter parameters. It takes some time to change all of them...

/kk

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filters as global objects

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Kjell,

That's a great feature request! Currently, we don't have this, but its something we're exploring. One question: would you want to be able to just copy the filter to every graph? Also, would you want to be able to change the filter on one chart and have all the other charts update?

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe to be useful, the filter should be a global object which changes in all places it is used when edited. Since you then might want to change only a particular filter in particular graph, there should be a way to "clone" the filter, perhaps by having a "clone" checkbox or popup when the name is edited.

Or, if you would add a way to list and edit filter outside the context of a particular graph, then that could be used to change the name (or any property) of the global filter, while changing the name of a filter in the context of a graph would directly create a clone of that filter. Exactly what would be the best way should be evaluated in user tests.

The type of use cases I am thinking about is when you want to set up a complex report for a product, then quickly "clone" that report for your whole product line. Of course, then it could also be useful to be able to create a template for a report as well.

Alternatively, a way to handle certain parameters of a filter (and perhaps other items) as a variable, possible to control programmatically (if you want to create a self-updating dashboard cycling automatically through your products) or by a pop-up menu (for a user interactive report) could also be useful for such a use case.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Kjell,

Thanks for the feedback! Those are all great suggestions. We'll definitely take that into account when we revisit how our filters work.

-Dave