2.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Filtering a dimension in a calculated metric

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am trying to create a calculated metric from GA data that I can use in a scorecard element in data studio and can't seem to get it to work. My metric is essentially "% of Sessions from the U.S." Something like (Sessions where Country = 'United States' / Sessions)

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe E
November 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I heard back from an email I sent to a contact at Google that this is not possible. It is being added to a potential list of upgrades, but for now, filtering a dimension in a calculated metric cannot be done.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm sorry to see that this hasn't been answered, because I'm trying to figure out the same thing, except with mobile traffic. It's frustrating to be able to get the percentage of traffic in a pie chart, but not in a scorecard.

Bump?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would be great to get this point solved. All the solutions posted around here don't seem to work.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe E
November 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I heard back from an email I sent to a contact at Google that this is not possible. It is being added to a potential list of upgrades, but for now, filtering a dimension in a calculated metric cannot be done.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

I wanted to get this topic up because I don't know if something has been done to address this point? I'm trying to make the exact same thing as Joe E but whatever I do, it does not work. Basically, I would like to use Data Studio to report on metric share including GA custom dimension values such as % of user who are X or Y).

Thanks for the update!

Anthony

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Im also still waiting for a solution to this problem,

Is there any news from google regarding a future update that allows us to do this?

It seems like theres lots of people who are asking. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone - Any update on if this is possible/anyone find a work around?  I am having the same problem - essentially want to trend out one of the % of total values I can get through a pie graph, but would like to view how it has changed over time.

Re: Filtering a dimension in a calculated metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As we have had the same problem and there does not seem to be a basic solution for it, let me share what we are using right now:

•  Create a new Table in Google Docs
  • Install or enable the Google Analytics Add-On (and read the documentation)
  • Compose some queried report sheets (the query explorer can be of great help there)
  • Add a new sheet for you custom calculations with references to your report sheets that have been created by running your queries
  • Add your custom calculations sheet as a data source to your data studio dashboard

This solution is not flexible at all, but it's quite a handy workaround.

Cheers

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm just subscribing to the topic, since I guess there's no way yet to accomplish this. Come on, Data Studio team! ;-)

Re: Filtering a dimension in a calculated metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm following up here. I don't want to create a new thread - since this one seems to be exactly what I'm looking for... but just so we're all certain: