AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Filtered Metric Scorecards show wrong value when value is not set.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing an issue in my Data Studio reports from a Google Analytics data source where Metric Scorecards show the wrong value if the value it should be showing is null. I would expect the value of the scorecard to display '0'. However, instead it displays the last number before you change the filter. It's happening on all my reports, anytime I set up a metric scorecard with a number representing a filtered metric that doesn't have any matching results.

As an example, I have a report set up with a Metric Scorecard that filters the Total Events to only show events in the 'Social Sharing' event category dimension, with a filter on the report by Default Channel Grouping. Here's a link to the example report.

By default, with no Channel filter applied, this is the report:

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.30.11 PM.jpgDefault- no filter, all social sharing events

If you apply the filter to only show 'Organic Search', the metric scorecard shows the number of events filtered correctly:

If you instead filter it by 'Display Channel', there are no social sharing events from the display channel, and the number should be 0. However, instead, I'm seeing whatever value was last set, for example here I am seeing 309 because I changed the filter from 'All Channels' to 'Display':

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.30.53 PM.jpgAfter changing the filter from 'All Channels' to 'Display', The number of events does not update

If instead I switch the filter from only 'Organic Search' to 'Display', I see the number of Organic Search Total Events instead of 0:

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.43.32 PM.jpgToggling the Filter between 'Organic Search' and 'Display' does not update the Metric Scorecard value

This seems like an odd behavior, maybe a bug that the metric scorecard value would not update or in some way indicate that the number it is currently displaying is null or 0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabe S
November 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well that's awesome, the issue seems to have been fixed within the past hour, I am now seeing the expected output of 'No Data' in the Metric Scorecard.

View solution in original post

Re: Filtered Metric Scorecards show wrong value when value is not set.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabe S
November 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well that's awesome, the issue seems to have been fixed within the past hour, I am now seeing the expected output of 'No Data' in the Metric Scorecard.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm experiencing the same thing too.