AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Filter on day of week

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, geeks of all kinds !

So I'm currently trying to create a "curves" report in Data Studio, showing visitors per day, using an analytics data source. I use "hourly" and "date breakkdown", working great.

So far, i've been able to show in one comparison the last 7 days.

Capture.JPG

Now, my problem is that I only need 3 dates in this graph : today, yesterday and D-7. (ok i do understand i need 14 days if i wanna add "today", i did that too afterwards)

I've tried to "hide" the other curves by setting their width to 0. Seemed to work, but I realized a couple hours later that the "series" can change and that their order isn't fixed. So I end up with "random" data displayed and that's, obviously, not an option.

Next thing was to try to filter the data ; I tried something along the lines of 

• day = today - 7 
    • OR
  • day = today - 1
    • OR
  • day = today

But I'm afraid either it doesn't work or I'm failing (hard) at syntax and functions.

Then, I thought that if i could make a filter telling the thingy to include "day of week = today's day of week" (meaning "pick all tuesdays in the data range selected", so today and last week) I could actually superimpose that graph with a classic "today VS yesterday" graph and get a working (if not pretty) result.(that is, ofc, waiting for Google to implement their own "custom comparison" tool... should be just a matter of time, I guess)

Do you guys have any experience in this kind of filter syntax? Or any idea for me to try? I don't find any comprehensive enough tutorial for my level of knowledge (just learning data studio, sorry :/ #noobSpotted )

Thanks in advance!

KR,

-Hugo

Filter on day of week

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't have an answer but I'm curious about it if anyone does. I'd love to be able to use a dynamic date (today instead of setting today's date) like you're mentioning above. 

Filter on day of week

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi fellow geek Smiley Happy

This is an interesting problem! The only way I can think to get around it, until more dynamic date options are added to DataStudio, is to apply a rank to each day and then filter only the highest or lowest three values? Or, if you had some way of identifying today's date, you could use DATE_DIFF() to calculate the difference between your MAX() date and TODAY(), then show the lowest three values...not sure this is even possible - which isn't very helpful! Smiley Happy

Anyone else have any ideas?

Ben

Filter on day of week

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Damn, that's a good idea too. I thought about DATE_DIFF() but thought that if I was able to actually use it, I should be able to use TODAY() as well (since DATE_DIFF would require some kind of TODAY() to work) and that, combined with some TODATE() wizardry would allow me to identify and match days of the week. But that's all still theoritical since I can't figure out how to make those work Smiley Tongue

Filter on day of week

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sooo... i'm trying a little UP here !

Filter on day of week

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why don´t you create a new dimention on the data source (ex google sheet) and use that new dimention to get what you want?

JoaoR