Data Studio
3K members online now
3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Filter Control and Default Date Range (Custom)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Team,

I have created a table chart which displays holidays for current month (since I applied custom date range filter as this month to the chart). Now I have added filter control and would like to see what are holidays for next month, but it does not show any values when I select next month in filter control.

I believe this is because, I have set default date range as this month.

So, what is the solution to this, like I need to see default holidays in table chart for this month and also need to apply filter control to see holidays in coming months?

Please see below screen shot for reference.

Default Values without any filter:

3.JPG

Filter with June Month:

11111.JPG

Filter with July month:

2.JPG

thanks for your help.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

How do you have the date associated to the holiday? If the date is in a different format in your "holiday description" dataset than in the "monthyear" date, that might be the problem. If they're in the same dataset and each holiday has an associated monthyear in the same format, then it should work. Do you have any other filters that might be interfering?

Re: Filter Control and Default Date Range (Custom)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In table chart I'm displaying complete date ex. Jun 15, 2017 and filter control is set to only month year format (that's because I don't want to select each date if I wish to see holidays for entire next month).

Date format.JPG

I have already attached screen shot for Date Filter Control format.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What's your data source? If it's Google Analytics, then the month year in the filter should already have the associations. But if it's Google Sheets, it's possible that Data Studio hasn't made the connection between monthyear and date. If that's the case, try including both montyear and date in your Sheets dataset, and then see if it works. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My Data source is Google Sheets, and below is screen shot of data.

Holiday.JPG

As you said to include, both monthyear and date in Sheets Dataset, that would make duplication of a columns.
Is there any other way solve this ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Now, I have column monthyear in both table chart as well filter control though it doesn't work. Please see attached screen shot.

55555.JPG

Then, I removed default Date Range (this month) which I applied to table chart and works as expected.

1212.JPG

1313.JPG

Therefore, I believe Filter Control doesn't work if you apply default date range to charts.

Awaiting your comments on this?

Thank you.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Where is the monthyear coming from? Did you create a monthyear calculated field in your dataset? What you could try is to create a month dimension off of date and a separate year dimension. Then use both of those as filters. I'm not sure why that should act differently than monthyear, but it's worth a shot. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, I have created monthyear as a calculated field.

So, you mean I need to create columns like

Date (which has complete date),

Month(with only month),

Year(with only Year).

and where these columns should be created. As calculated field or in Data source itself?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Now, I have a separate column for each (Date, Day, Month, Year). Also, seperate filter control for (Month, Year) still it doesn't work if we apply default date range in Data tab.

Therefore, Is it something like Filter Control doesn't work if you apply default date range to charts?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The only one you really need in your Sheet is the date. Then once in DS, you can build the month and year off that date. For instance, create a calculated field for month and year. DS doesn't always recognize the separate month/year columns in Sheets.

month setup.JPG