Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Feature Request - Improve the filter control

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been experimenting with the filter control. It's a great start. But, it's very limited in its functionality. There are two things I'd love to see added to it.

Add Filter Details to the Report URL

Reports can be easily shared via a URL (assuming someone is given access). It would be nice to be able to share a specific view of the report which also includes applied filters. In my opinion, filters should be added as a query string parameter to a report. Not exposed due to security reasons. But still sharable via some directly available link.

Make the Filter Control More Powerful

It would be handy to have the ability to apply a filter beyond the yes/no approach that's currently available. For example:

• Load all data where a metric has a value less than, greather than, equal to something
  • Load all data with a dimension that starts with some string
  • Load all data with a dimension that ends with some string
  • Yes / No for Boolean fields
  • It would be REALLY powerful to be able to apply filters on GEO fields like, load records within a specific distance of a specific location

These are just some quick ideas I wanted to jot down.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Feature Request - Improve the filter control

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hey,

• Sharable URL with filters: I am sure it works even now. Here is value from a report URL when I filtered it for desktop traffic explorer-table.filter%3Ddesktop
  • Load all data where a metric has a value less than, greather than, equal to something: this is already available. Filters1.PNG
  • Load all data with a dimension that starts with some string: This is already available in advanced filters and you can also use regex like ^value_you_want_to_start_with
  • Load all data with a dimension that ends with some string: This is already available in advanced filters and you can also use regex like value_you_want_to_start_with$
  • Yes / No for Boolean fields: Can you provide an example?
  • It would be REALLY powerful to be able to apply filters on GEO fields like, load records within a specific distance of a specific location: You can pass distance as a custom dimension with every hit and then you can easily filter that as well
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I second this request! Nik, I agree that you can already set up those filters as the admin, but I'm interested in allowing the end user (the person I share the report with) to be able to filter dimensions by a string or metrics by greater than, etc.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Chad,

Great suggestions!

In the future, you can submit feature requests and feedback directly to the product team using the feedback options in the Data Studio menu bar.

Thanks!

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Nik,

Do you have more information on how to create a shareable URL with filters?

• Sharable URL with filters: I am sure it works even now. Here is value from a report URL when I filtered it for desktop traffic explorer-table.filter%3Ddesktop

Thanks!