AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Feature Request: Bar chart switch x and y

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I would like to switch the axis (see screenshot below) in the bar chart. For example:

I have the channels (cpc, organic, social,..) and goal conversions. But I want to point out which goal has the most traffic from one particular channel.

Right now I have the channels on the y-axis and the goal conversions on the x-axis as bars. It should be possible to display it the other way around. On the y-axis the goals and on the x-axis the channels in bars.

Regards,

Jennifer

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you click on the bar chart, go to the chart's style menu. At the top, there are two icons. The bar chart defaults to vertical bars but you can change it to be horizontal bars instead. That will put your dimension on the y-axis and metric on the x-axis.

Re: Feature Request: Bar chart switch x and y

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I'm aware of that function, but that's not the problem.

I have 2 screenshots to explain it better:

Now it looks like this:

how-it-is.pnghow it is

But I want it to look that way:

how-i-want-it-to-be.pnghow i want it to look

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ah I see! 

What if you change the order of the dimensions in your chart? The one listed on the y-axis should be listed first and then the one that gets split out in the stacked bars should be second.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can I change the order? In the DATA-Tab I just select the dimension (channels) and the metrics (goal completions). I can only change the orientation (horizontal and vertical) as you suggested in the first reply.

Re: Feature Request: Bar chart switch x and y

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Oh wait, your goal completions are a metric, aren't they? Hm, that won't work then. My idea would work if y-axis and breakdown are both dimensions. I suspect this might me a feature request. 

One potential workaround would be superimpose a number of tables over each other, kind of like this:Time of day.JPG

What I did to set that up was to put the time as a dimension (this is where your channels would go), and then dropped the metric in (goals). Then I added a filter to restrict it to one specific day of the week (or you could restrict it to one specific goal). I then copied that table and pasted the copy right next to it (but behind), and changed the filter to a different day of the week. You'd need to make sure that the table is sorted by the channel name rather than the metric value. 

It's not as pretty as a bar chart, but it might get at what you're going for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your approach.

But I really would like to have the opportunity to present the bar chart like I showed. This is possible in other tools (in the example it's Powerpoint) and I think it should be possible in Data Studio too.

Feature Request: Bar chart switch columns and rows

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know if this feature is coming?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree.  This would be a good feature, which is available in every other visualization tool I've worked with.  It hurts a bit that it's missing here.