Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Error Connecting to Postgres tables

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have managed to connect to my database through Postgres ( resolved the firewall issue etc ) but when I try to connect to any table I get the following error.

There is no further explanation and my only option is to click Dismiss and then I lose the data source.

What can I do to solve it????

p.s The connection to the tables work fine when I use other tools ( DataGrip, Tableau etc )

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 09.24.40.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Tonia,

When you click on the table name DataStudio should fetch and display list of the table fields.

Check your Postgres log file for any errors.

What types of fields or database extensions do you use? Create simple table with just numeric or text field and try to connect it.

We have the same error on tables with json/jsonb type fields. As a temporary solution we created database view without these fields.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue here...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Check you don't have any uuid fields or other unsupported data types.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same problem.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi folks,

Sorry for the trouble you've been having. We are looking into this to see if something changed. Are you trying to connect to views, or to standard tables?

If you are familiar with using the Chrome Developer tools, you can see if there are any errors being reported.

Try to create a new connection, and before you click CONNECT, right click the page, then choose Inspect.  

In the Network tab, look for a request that starts with "getColumns?" followed by lots of other stuff you don't need to pay attention to. Once that request's status is no longer "(pending)" right click it, then select Copy > Copy Response. 

You can then send me the output and I'll share it with the developers.

Unfortunately, due to the 4th of July holiday, it may be some time until we can get back to you, so I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Rick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rick,

Is the problem with Postgres views being dealt with?

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

That is one of the things we're looking into.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great. In the report on the Issue Tracker someone has identified the problem and offered the fix. Looks pretty easy. Heopefully you'll be able to do soon, as Studio is unusable with Postgres right now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Add me to the same issue...