2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Embed report in site?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Is it possible to embed the report chart into a site - so that effectively the chart becomes live - the chart updates as new data comes through.

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Embed report in site?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Roger,
I haven't tried yet but I'm sharing an article that will help you.

https://www.raymondcamden.com/2015/06/10/quick-example-of-the-google-analytics-embed-api/

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Embedding Data Studio reports is not currently supported, due to browser security enforcement.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rick, would it be possible to embed in a Google Sites intranet where everyone that would view it would be shared on the file? I assume you mean Google's sharing restrictions when you say browser security enforcement.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi Mike

I believe it's actually a restriction built into the Chrome browser's security code (probably XSS or similar cross-domain restriction, but I'm not 100% sure). In any case, I tried embedding a Data Studio report in an iFrame but it doesn't work.

Embedding is a popular request, though, so we're aware of the need.

Best regards

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rick

Embed report in site?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

Any news on this? Thanks

Embed report in site?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Was very excited about Data Studio, until I ran into this restriction. Now, we anyway have to put the effort to develop reports for our customers (being a SaaS, each customer gets they own view of the report), so why use this data studio?

There is some value for adhoc internal reports but the full potential of Data Studio cannot be unleashed until this requirement is met.

Embed report in site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Totally agree. Google data studio is a very good choice overall for me to implement the data visualization report. However, without the iframe support, its value shrinks to me. For now, I am still using R and Shiny to create a report. It can be shared without a problem, though I need to work on setting up the server or pay for the shinyapps.io

Embed report in site?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Solution after embedding (native implementation):

http://bit.ly/Embed-GDS

1. Click File
  2. Click Embed report
  3. Click ‘copy to keyboard.’
  4. That’s it. Celebrate. You’re done. It’s free and there’s no monthly fees or subscription.
  5. Screenshots below!

Solution before embedding (workaround):

Blogged here - embed Google data studio in detail. Text version below.

Update: Google is working on doing a beta version for embedding too. We received an email regarding 'how would you use google data studio?' from google. There are some others here now looking to funnel you into buying over priced hosting to do a basic screenshot (this is not a smart path - this is just rich companies looking to funnel more sales into their business) - hopefully, google will remove those Spam comments.

Spam Comments Recommending Hosting: Spending money on this - monthly - which locks you into annual - would be bad because Google is clearly stating they are about to release beta version of embedding. Keep it free until it's done.

Just remember this is in BETA and it's FREE with Sharing + permissions & security.

Below is a simple workaround.

What:

Get share link and embed it into a clickable picture or text. Given your request, a picture would need to suffice, and until there's an exporting function to batch send images.

How:

1. Click share

2. Sharing settings:Click Link to share (only accessible by collaborators) 

3. Copy the link

4. Take Screenshot your report/dashboard. If it's very clean, make an SVG to keep it very lean.

5. Make screenshot a web object, embed the link from step 3.

6. Automate 4-5. with some sort of open source keyboard automation tool, and within an hour or two, you should be able to automate that generation and insert into your website.

Why:

It would be great to show people what you have and give them 1 single action to gain access.

If security is important, avoid keeping this clickable public, and generate a password layer in front. Another open source free option that is a google away.

Good luck,

-Tyler

dev3lop.com

A fun work-around + updated t the latest solution:
https://dev3lop.com/how-to-embed-google-data-studio-iframe/