Data Studio
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Images in Data Studio based on image reference (url or file or what else)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have LOVED getting to know Data Studio over the past few weeks.  It has already leveled up my approach to analytics reports across multiple data sources.

One thing that seems like a glaring omission to me so far is the ability to display images using data from a data source.  Say I have a Google sheet with a Post ID, some Post Copy, an image URL, and the number of impressions that post got.

Dimensions: Post ID, Post Copy, Image URL

Metric: Impressions

I would like a chart or widget type that can display the image URL as an actual image, not just as text.

Source material like images are often a substantive piece of data when it comes to business intelligence.  Like it or not, text is a limited dimension and an image (or even, gasp, a video) is a legitimate part of today's rich media landscape.

I've also tried to get this functionality from Microsoft's Power BI also, but to no avail.  In fact, it seems like it's missing from all of the analytics dashboards I have tried. I'm guessing this is because the teams in charge of products like this are focused on the most scalable data infrastructure possible and images would require some specific visualization executions that wouldn't work without images.  But there are ways around that (like default images when urls are absent) or there are different classes of visualizations based on given data.  If it's valuable to the end user, there must be a way.

Long story short, if the tool can't incorporate reference material (images displayed from urls), then it won't be as useful as it could be.  Yes, the different visualizations that numeric data can inform are valuable.  But pair those visualizations with the end creative execution (image or video) and the analytics reports are a lot more comprehensive for the client.

Again, love the product.  Please add in features to display images based on references in the data sources.  That's the missing piece for this being an integral part of my data workflow responsibilities.  Thanks for all of your work so far.

Dynamic Images in Data Studio based on image reference (url or file or what else)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm also interested in this functionality. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would also be interested in this functionality! Very exciting!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep, this would also be hugely helpful for my org!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd like this too

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to create a report that shows employee profile with their headshots. But, it seems like there is no way around this at this stage. This was rather easy in Microsoft Power BI provided the photo itself was hosted on a public domain.

I hope they will add a similar approach in Google Data Studio.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I really need this too

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm also interested in this functionality. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a must to show the data in a meaningful way. Please have it asp, Google pls.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This functionnality makes even more sense now that there is a Instagram connector through Supermetrics ! Please do it Smiley Happy