Dynamic Date Filter

[ Edited ]
JvB
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
JvB
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I got a Google Sheet datasource up and running and I am now building a dashboard.

In that sheet I have a column (dimension) named period with the format YYYYMMDD (e.g. 20160101).

For some dashboard elements it is required to only show data for the previous month, current year etc. E.g. Bar chart: actuals vs. target previous month.

How can I restrict the data and create a dynamic filter on the period dimension in order to create previous month, current year, etc.

It is possible to do a hard filter. E.g. 201612, but I want a dynamic filter.

I looked on the help section and tried bunch of options but that did not help me.

Does anyone have a clue how to tackle this? Can this be done dynamic data variables?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JvB
January 2017

Dynamic Date Filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had the same problem. I solved it by duplicating the column (dimension) and then filtered the format.

So now I always maintain my original column with the format "YYYY/MM/DD HH.MM" and then duplicate it.

For example in this way I could create 2 chart that analyse different things. One analyse a phenomena based on the hour of the day (HH) and the other based on the day of the week (G). You can then even combine the 2 information and have a complete overview of the phenomena.