2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Different Filters for Each Metric in a Single Chart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to build a chart that shows sessions for different parts of the site over time, all on the same chart. For example, my line graph needs to show the progression of organic traffic to our blog, product pages, and resource section over time - each line on the graph should show unique metrics for each section of the site. 

This would, in theory, require me to include three different filters on one chart, but have each of these filters (i.e. medium = organic, page = blog) apply to only one Sessions  "Dimension". Then this would have to be multiplied by three, all on the same chart. Is this possible to do, or is the only solution in Data Studio to use multiple charts? 

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

the filters apply at the chart level, not the metric level Smiley Sad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In order to split a single metric, you have to apply a dimension.

You can simply create a calculated dimension in datastudio and calculate a split with case when statements.

Then you can use this custom dimension to split your graph.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Julian, how can i create a calculated dimension for one clicks evolution chart with two lines, one is for google adwords campaigns that contais "X" in the campaign name and the another one contais "Y" in the campaign name... I think it's something close to CASE WHEN but i didnt reach the right formula yet Smiley Sad