Data Studio
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Default Date Range options disappears for yyyymm date type.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I add a time series chart using a data source that has a date field in the format of yyyymmdd, I get a "Default Date Range" filter that I can adjust.

However, when I add the exact same kind of chart using a data source that has a date field in the format of yyyymm, the Default Date Range filter option disappears.

Why can't I set the date range on a yyyymm data source? That's a frustrating limitation.

yyyymmdd.JPG

yyyymm.JPG

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If the issue is that you want to show the data in your chart by month rather than by date, let me suggest the following:

1. Use the YYYYMMDD as your date range dimension (this usually shows up just below the data source). I don't see this field in your screenshot?

2. Use YYYYMM as your time dimension that shows up in the chart

This will allow you to filter by any date range, but not have specific dates in your chart cluttering things up

I have a screenshot, but I can't figure out how to share it. The paste function doesn't work and there's no upload button. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I see what you're saying, but my data source has just one date field. It's called "Month" and the values are the first of each month, e.g. 2017-01-01, 2017-02-01, etc.

If I set that field's type to yyyymmdd in the data source setup I get the "Date Range Dimension" and the "Default Date Range" options (as seen in the first screenshot) but if I set it to yyyymm both of those sections disappear.

I will try to see if adding a second date column and setting one as yyyymmdd to use as the date dimension and the other as yyyymm to use as the time dimension will work.

Edit: Yes, that works to get me what I want, but it seems like a very hacky workaround of a bug. Why should I need to have two columns with literally the exact same date data in them to get the display that I want?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I totally agree. There might be a better way to do this, but I'm new to Data Studio and this is the workaround I've figured out so far...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the exact problem I'm attempting to resolve, but I'm not sure how to get the workaround to work properly.  I changed the format to yyyymmdd at the data source level, but I am still unable to find the Default Date Range property in my combo chart.

In addition, once I set that style at the data source level, I have found no way to get the chart to show a decent date format.