2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Dates sorted incorrectly in bar chart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have data from December to February, imported from a BigQuery data source into a bar chart. I'm running into a couple of issues.

My overall goal is to show the most recent few hours or weeks of data, with the most recent data on the right. The bar chart I am using has three calculated metrics, and no date range dimension or filters.

When I sort by Date, ascending, I see the beginning of my data only. If I sort descending, I see the most recent data, but obviously ordered in the opposite way I'd expect, with the most recent date on the left, and the oldest date on the right:Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 11.57.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-17 at 11.57.17 AM.png

Admittedly I'm not really clear on the purpose of the date range dimension, and while experimenting I came across an actual date range option within the individual chart data options, not sure how that is enabled, but I no longer see that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mitch L
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Mitch L, sorry to hear you're having this issue! Myself and a few other folks are having it, too, and we've reported it. You are not alone! https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Bar-chart-Sort-by-Month-not-working/m-p/111426...

Hopefully Google will fix this soon.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mitch L
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Mitch L, sorry to hear you're having this issue! Myself and a few other folks are having it, too, and we've reported it. You are not alone! https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Bar-chart-Sort-by-Month-not-working/m-p/111426...

Hopefully Google will fix this soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Is there a way to workaround with the date range dimension, I wonder?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you add the date to "date range dimension" then you will see the date range option within that chart. Hope this helps a little.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having the same issue as Mitch. This only occurs when you're doing a Bar chart with TWO Dimensions it seems. It also doesn't matter if one's a time-based dimension or not (I experimented with other combinations, like Country and City). It's fine when you have a single Dimension. Any update on when this will be resolved?