AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Dates sorted incorrectly in bar chart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have data from December to February, imported from a BigQuery data source into a bar chart. I'm running into a couple of issues.

My overall goal is to show the most recent few hours or weeks of data, with the most recent data on the right. The bar chart I am using has three calculated metrics, and no date range dimension or filters.

When I sort by Date, ascending, I see the beginning of my data only. If I sort descending, I see the most recent data, but obviously ordered in the opposite way I'd expect, with the most recent date on the left, and the oldest date on the right:Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 11.57.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-17 at 11.57.17 AM.png

Admittedly I'm not really clear on the purpose of the date range dimension, and while experimenting I came across an actual date range option within the individual chart data options, not sure how that is enabled, but I no longer see that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mitch L
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Mitch L, sorry to hear you're having this issue! Myself and a few other folks are having it, too, and we've reported it. You are not alone! https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Bar-chart-Sort-by-Month-not-working/m-p/111426...

Hopefully Google will fix this soon.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mitch L
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Mitch L, sorry to hear you're having this issue! Myself and a few other folks are having it, too, and we've reported it. You are not alone! https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Bar-chart-Sort-by-Month-not-working/m-p/111426...

Hopefully Google will fix this soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Is there a way to workaround with the date range dimension, I wonder?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you add the date to "date range dimension" then you will see the date range option within that chart. Hope this helps a little.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having the same issue as Mitch. This only occurs when you're doing a Bar chart with TWO Dimensions it seems. It also doesn't matter if one's a time-based dimension or not (I experimented with other combinations, like Country and City). It's fine when you have a single Dimension. Any update on when this will be resolved?