2.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Dates not showing in Date filter when source is Google Sheet

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a dashboard which is using Google Sheets as source for a few of the pages and GA for others.

I have date filters on every page of the dashboard and oddly the ones that are on pages with the Sheet source don't display the dates.

I.e. the filter works and the dates are selected but the filter always shows "select date range" rather than the actively selected dates.

Tried all sorts of formatting to combat the issue but my conclusion is it's not formatting but rather to do with the source...

The filters on the pages with GA work as intended, showing the selected dates but the Sheets filters just won't.

Any ideas or is that simply a bug and if it is, is it known and being worked on?

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I think it has something to do with the date format in your Google Sheets. I remember having a similar problem in DS. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same issue on several reports, but taking it once step further in that the filter doesn't work.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George Slokoski
June

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi George,

Thanks for reporting this. It does look like the date range control doesn't "remember" the default date range when it appears on a page with a page-level Sheets data source. Whether that's a bug or a "feature," I'm not sure, but I'll report it to our developers.

In my tests, it looks like it only happens if you have a report-level or page-level data source set to Sheets (I didn't try other connectors besides GA). If you remove those data sources, the date range control will work as expected.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Jason,

Can you provide more information about how, exactly, it's not working?

Rick

Re: Dates not showing in Date filter when source is Google Sheet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick:

Sure thing! Here's a quick rundown of my steps leading up to it:

1. Created a new Google Sheet with 5 columns of basic data in a tabular format.
  2. Created a new Data Source in Data Studio using the recently created Google Sheet, making sure that the appropriate Type and Aggregations were selected.
  3. Selected "CREATE A REPORT" and followed steps to add the Data Source to the Report.
  4. Added a Date range and gave it a default range (tried different options that should have been able to be pulled using the data in the Google Sheet).
    1. After hitting "APPLY" and leaving the "EDIT" mode, the Date range showed "select date range".
  5. Added a Scorecard and selected the appropriate metric.

The end result is the Date range not being populated with the default range, and when I do select a range, the Scorecard does not respond to the dates that are applied.

These are the same steps that I've followed to-date – definitely let me know if I'm missing something now!

Thanks,

Jason

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that detailed set of steps!

The first problem is what I described to George: page level and report level data sources based on Sheets seem to not play well with the date range control. The solution is just to use chart-level data sources (you can simply remove the data source chip from the Report Settings and Page Settings panels; those are legacy features anyway).

My hunch is that if you remove the report-level data source, the second issue you are reporting will go away.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rick:

That did indeed resolve the date range showing improperly, but the scorecard and other visualizations aren't updating based on date range selections. I've tried updating the date formatting in both the Google Sheet and the data source, as well as grouping the date range with the visualization, but without success. Not sure if I'm missing a step.

Thanks again for your help!

Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar problem. I have a two sources, GA and Google sheets, and sheets does not show the data when filtering by date...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Jason, 

Not sure how you set up your Google Sheet data, but for mine, I had a main sheet used for merging all data from other sheets. And for that purpose, I needed to edit all the date formats from all these sheets (YYYY-MM-DD). And then it worked! 

Maybe that will help.