AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Date range filter to work on two different source tables (one has full dates the other month only)?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have 2 tables with 2 different Google Sheet sources on a page.

Because the dimensions are named the same when I have a filter it works perfectly on both, as is intended.

However, I am trying to have just a single Date Range filter that would control both.

Only one of the data sources has dates by day - the other is by month so the Date Range doesn't control it.

I've ensured to select date formatting for the Month dimension in the second table's source, tried MM and YYYYMM but neither links up with the Date Range.

My desired result is to see the data for a month whenever any dates within this month are selected from the Date Range?

Would that simply not work and I'm looking at adding an additional filter just for the table with month data or do I need a certain mix of formatting to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

Date range filter to work on two different source tables (one has full dates the other month only)?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What you can do is this:

1. First datasheet already has dates by day, all set.

2. Second datasheet has dates by month. This won't match up in DS. Go into this dataset in Sheets. You have a column with the yearmonth (YYYYMM)? Create a new column that concatenates 01 after that. For example, =concatenate(yearmonth,"01"). This will turn your yearmonth into YYYYMMDD. As long as your charts roll up to the month level instead of the date level, then this should work (if you list it at the date level, you'll have a weird spike on the first of every month).