2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Date range control always shows "select date range"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

New user to Data Studio, and I can't seem to figure this one thing out.  The date range control (almost) always says "select date range".  Even if there is a default date range, or if a date range is manually selected.  The only exception is that randomly, when you pick a pre-defined range (30 days or something like that), it might show the actual dates.

Anyone have any ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

James, 

Can you give a little more information about what kind of data sources you're connected to? Do the visualizations or any other elements you create show the correct data for the default date range?

Re: Date range control always shows "select date range"

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@James M are you setting your default date range for your charts inside the settings for each individual chart? Or inside the settings for the actual date-range selector widget?

If you set a chart to have a "Default Date Range" of "Auto", like this...

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 2.31.52 PM.png

...then the chart will respect whatever default date range is chosen in the settings for your selector widget:

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 2.31.29 PM.png

In the settings for the chart, you would also need to have your "Date Range Dimension" set to a time series dimension. That tells the date-selector widget to update your chart based on the datetime field you're using inside your chart.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sheets, analytisc and adwords.  The dates filter fine, that's not the issue.  The problem is that nowhere does it show the actual date range selected.  Only "select date range".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I've explained myself poorly.  The sole problem is that the date range selector always says "select date range".  It also shows this, whether it's using the default date range, or a date range has been selected:

2017-03-08 11-33-52 AM.png

Once in a blue moon, it will show the actual date range, but rarely.

All the charts and metrics filter property, it's just the date range control that is not showing the date range that was selected.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sounds like you may have selected the 'Filter Control' instead of 'Date Range' control.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 10.59.34 AM.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, it's definitely a date range:

date range.png

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@James M could you show us a screenshot of the DATA settings for that date-range control?

It sounds like you're saying that even when you choose a "Default Date Range" in the DATA properties, you're still seeing "select date range" - is that right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, but also, if I pick a date range while not in edit mode, it also shows "select date range".

Sometimes, if I pick a pre-defined range (7 days, this quarter, etc.), the dates will show in the control instead of "select date range".  But, never with a default range, or if I choose an adhoc range while running the report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's the data settings:

date range 2.png