6.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Date range comparison

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do businesses that operate on a company fiscal calendar supposed to use the year-over-year comparison application? The current way the comparison date range option is built in Data Studio does not allow for this kind of year-over-year analysis. 

Re: Date range comparison

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Fernando L!

If you have a Time Series chart that plots data by day (i.e., not aggregated by week/month/etc), then inside the chart settings on the Data tab at the bottom, there should be an area to select your default date range AND to select a "Comparison" date range:

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 2.42.36 PM.png

If you select "Previous year", then the chart will plot a comparison line showing results from the previous year, with current year results overlayed. It's pretty slick!

If that's not working or if you're trying to do something else, please send along more info.

Date range comparison

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does this timeframe "sample" from the data like it does in Google Analytic Custom reports?

Date range comparison

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Grace H. To my knowledge Data Studio doesn't sample data that you feed it. I've created scorecards & charts from GA data, and those scorecards & charts exactly match what appears in Data Studio. 

So even if GA data is sampled up front, I think that sampled data is passed straight through to Data Studio and reported in full.