5.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Date range comparison not doing what I expected

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm tracking a Goal conversion by week. I've set it to track from week 13 onwards. However, when I use the 'compare with previous period' option, the % difference showing is clearly not showing the percentage difference from the previous week, as it thinks that 60 is a 18.9% drop from the 55 of the previous week.

So what is happening here and how do I get it to show the percentage difference from the previous week?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sally Sm
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sally,

Are you able to share a screenshot of your report? The 'previous period, refers to the date filter setting only, not the dimension you have broken down by. For example, if your date range is a month your difference will show compared to the previous month, not the previous week.

Hope that helps,

Ben

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sally Sm
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sally,

Are you able to share a screenshot of your report? The 'previous period, refers to the date filter setting only, not the dimension you have broken down by. For example, if your date range is a month your difference will show compared to the previous month, not the previous week.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That seems to be the issue, so the question is - how do I compare to the previous week?

and also to the same week in the previous year?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sally,

Currently you are limited to the available options. Right now you'd have to make two tables, one comparing to the previous week and a second which compares to the previous year. At the moment there isn't the flexibility to look back at a particular week for year-over-year, if you wanted to, for example, compare financial weeks.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Like a lot of things to do with Data Studio, it doesn't actually help, just tells me what I can't do :-(

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sally ,

Do you have a date field in your data source? Would you be able to share a snippet of what your data looks like? I have created reports to compare same month this year to the same month last year, and month over month.I believe we can achieve the same with week number (ISO (WW)). 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The date field is ISO week of ISO year. I want to compare week on week, 2016 to 2017 for a Goal completion. As a line graph it looks nice, but doesn't tell me the percentage difference. As 2 tables I can see the 2 results side by side, but I can't see how I can add just a simple formula for the percentage difference.

Re: Date range comparison not doing what I expected

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sally,

The compare feature  works on date (YYYYMMDD) date fields only So convert/duplicate and convert your WEEK YEAR to full date like below:

Capture.JPG

Then in your report, use a date filter to "current week". In my example, I have used last week. This will automatically set the object to show the desired week data
Capture2.JPG

Turn on compare for the previous year on the object (in my example, iI'veused the scorecard object). 

Capture3.JPG

You can see here, the output = 10/80 -1 = -87.5%

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I appreciate your effort, but that's not going to give me the report I want, the entire point is that I want to compare week-on-week through the financial year, going forward. It seems like it should be a simple thing to do, but I'm forced to add it to my 'reasons not to attempt use Data Studio for at least another year. Why go to all that effort when I can do it with the GA add-on for Google Sheets.

Re: Date range comparison not doing what I expected

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sally,

Thanks for clarifying what it is you want to see. If you want to track week on week for the full financial year, this is how you can organize your base data.

Create a field called "week" which is merely just a number field (NOT a date field). Ignore the year column. It is used in the pivot table to QC out data.

Capture4.JPG

Based on the above dataset, the growth % should be as follows:

Capture5.JPG

In Data Studio,

-Select the "date" field  as the Date Range Dimension

-Select this new field "week" as the Dimension

-Goal conversion as the Metric

-Sort on Week Ascending

-Default Date range to custom (This year or the time frame of your financial year)
-Compare on to previous year

Capture6.JPG

The result:

Capture7.JPG

This matches our pivot table so we can verify that the results are accurate!

I hope you find this helpful and put Data Studio to use. This tool is powerful and just requires some thinking outside the box to make this existing features work for your business. Let me know if you need any more help. 

Thanks,
Donavyn